Gain your Certificate while you work!
Have you previously gained a Certificate III in Aged Care or Individual Support, or similar qualification? Do you already work in aged care and now you’re ready to upskill? Would you like to have your existing competency recognised? Perhaps you’d like to learn something new, update your team-leading skills and contribute to improved accreditation outcomes in your workplace.
This course is suitable either for those who have studied or who are already working in the aged care sector or for those who have a community services background or experience.
- Theory, essential skills and knowledge are delivered via classroom workshops
- Practical skills are developed on the job with placement organised by us for you in an aged care facility, under supervision, over a specified period of time
- Alternatively, we recognise your active participation and/or current employment in the industry. The place of work may be in a residential aged care facility, centre-based programs or in the community.
This qualification is fast becoming a requirement for all PCAs as more employers call for Certificate IV trained workers to provide services to the elderly with complex needs. The work may include:
- training and support of other workers and residents to promote independence and community participation
- provision of basic nursing care, and/or other activities of living, to individuals with complex needs
- delegation to and supervision of other workers (e.g., Certificate III workers)
- care planning and other documentation
Certificate IV PCAs or AINs are accountable to Registered Nurses or a direct line supervisor.
About this course
With the Phillips Institute CHC43015 Certificate IV in Ageing Support, you can take control of your study and start anytime :
- Attend workshops one evening per week for class-based training and enjoy learning with other aged care professionals
- Join additional classes as required: several units from this course are also offered Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Saturdays
- Continue to work your usual hours while you complete the required training with our blended-online / distance activities and assessments
- Be guided by our highly experienced and qualified facilitators who will develop your individual learning plan, and provide guidance to you with workplace / placement visits
This course is structured to meet the needs of full-time workers with an evening class delivered weekly supported by workplace / placement visits (currently Melbourne only) throughout your course. An individual learning plan will be developed for you, depending on your existing skills, knowledge and experience, including any potential credit transfers or recognition of prior learning.
You can also study modules at your own pace using distance or online learning and can join this course at any time if you are currently working, or at specified entry points if you are not currently working.
Fees and Funding
Victorian residents may be eligible for generous Commonwealth and Victorian Government Funding – see our Fees and Funding page for more information. Note: if you already hold any units suitable for credit transfer, your fees will be further reduced.
Adequate language, literacy and numeracy skills are required for study at Certificate IV level. Applicants studying via distance and/or online will require intermediate level computer skills, and reliable access to a computer with Internet connection.
Units of competency in the program
|CHCADV001||Facilitate the interests and rights of clients|
|CHCAGE001||Facilitate the empowerment of older people|
|CHCAGE003||Coordinate services for older people|
|CHCAGE004||Implement interventions with older people at risk|
|CHCAGE005||Provide support to people living with dementia|
|CHCCCS006||Facilitate individual service planning and delivery|
|CHCCCS011||Meet personal support needs|
|CHCCCS023*||Support independence and wellbeing|
|CHCCCS025||Support relationships with carers and families|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|CHCLEG003||Manage legal and ethical compliance|
|CHCPAL001||Deliver care services using a palliative approach|
|CHCPRP001||Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships|
|HLTAAP001||Recognise healthy body systems|
|HLTWHS002||Follow safe work practices for direct client care|
|CHCAGE002||Implement falls prevention strategies*|
|CHCCOM002||Use communication to build relationships*|
|HLTHPS006||Assist clients with medication*|
*Elective units may be subject to change