Do you want to assist others to maintain the quality of their lives? Or are you already working in a disability role but need to gain formal training? Would you like to upskill with the CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability and have your existing competency recognised? Or perhaps you’d like to learn something new to update your skills and knowledge. With Phillips Institute, you can take control of your study and start anytime :
- Attend facilitated workshops one evening per fortnight and enjoy learning with other disability and health care professionals
- Continue to work your usual hours while you complete the course through blended-online or distance activities and assessments
- Be guided by our highly experienced and qualified facilitators who will develop your individual learning plan, and provide guidance to you with regular contact
- All supported by email, on-site and/or telephone access throughout your study program
Fees and Funding
Victorian residents may be eligible for Commonwealth and Victorian Government Funding – see our Fees and Funding page for more information.
About this qualification
This qualification addresses work in residential group homes, training resource centres, day respite centres and open employment services, other community settings and clients’ homes. Typically these workers:
- Carry out activities related to maintaining an individual’s well being through personal care and/or other activities of living
- May provide support or services to individuals with complex needs, and/or work with groups of people
- Work may include training and support to promote independence and community participation, which may be provided as part of activities and programs in a variety of settings including residential and centre-based programs
- Report to service managers and liaise with professionals and other service providers
- May be required to supervise and/or coordinate a limited number of other workers.
- You are required to demonstrate your skills through a placement of at least 120 hours – we will source and organise this placement at a location as close to your home as possible
While the full duration of this program is 9 months, some individuals may be able to complete in a shorter time frame where relevant prior skills, knowledge and experience are demonstrated.
To gain entry into this course, you must have adequate language, literacy and numeracy skills in order to study at Certificate IV level. A Certificate III level vocational qualification and intention to specialise in disability sector is also advantageous. Applicants may also require intermediate level computer skills, access to a computer, an email account and a reliable internet connection.
This course is primarily intended for those who already hold a relevant Certificate III in either: Disability, Aged Care, Home and Community Care, Health Services Assistance or Allied Health Assistance and/or who have worked in disability, aged care, home and community care, or allied health service areas and who wish to move into a supervisory or co-ordination role in disability. For those with no experience in a support or caring role, we recommend completion of the Certificate III in Individual Support followed by at least 12 months employment in the sector before undertaking this course.
Units of competency in the program
|CHCCCS015||Provide individualised support|
|CHCDIS002||Follow established person-centred behaviour supports|
|CHCDIS005||Develop and provide person-centred service responses|
|CHCDIS007||Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability|
|CHCDIS008||Facilitate community participation and social inclusion|
|CHCDIS009||Facilitate ongoing skills development using a person-centred approach|
|CHCDIS010||Provide person-centred services to people with disability with complex needs|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|CHCLEG003||Manage legal and ethical compliance|
|HLTAAP001||Recognise healthy body systems|
|HLTWHS002||Follow safe work practices for direct client care|
|CHCDIS006||Develop and promote positive person-centred behaviour supports*|
|CHCDIS004||Communicate using augmentative and alternative communication strategies*|
|CHCMHS001||Work with people with mental health issues*|
*Elective units may be subject to change