Why do I need a WWC check?

Students who are required to undertake a practical placement in either a hospital, rehabilitation facility, home and community care, childcare centre, school or disability services provider as part of their course are required to apply for a Working with Children Check (WWC).  This may also be known as a “Blue Card” in some jurisdictions.

Some placement venues may allocate students to areas where they may be required to engage with children. Phillips Institute courses to which this may apply include:

Certificate III in Health Services Assistance
Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability, Home and Community Care)
Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
Certificate IV in School Based Education Support
Certificate IV in Disability
Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care

How much will it cost?

There is no charge for the WWC check for volunteers, and as a student on placement, you should ensure you apply initially as a volunteer.  Some placement organisations may require you to apply as an employee – our staff will advise you during enrolment if this is the case.

How do I apply?

You must apply online for this check yourself, as Phillips Institute cannot perform this check on your behalf.

Depending on processing time, the card you receive needs to be taken to all venues. Your application receipt should be carried with you to all venues until you receive the card.

Students in Victoria need to apply online as a volunteer at the following website:


When completing the online application, please ensure you provide your *Course code, Course name and Phillips Institute details to avoid any delays in the processing of your application.

*This is an Example of how to complete some of the details on the form:
Course code Course title Organisation
HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance Phillips Institute
Level 1, 1060 Dandenong Road
Victoria 3163

Further details can be obtained by referring to the Working with Children Check Application Guide at the above website link.

What if my details change?

Holders of a WWC card have a responsibility to notify the government department within 21 days of any changes to their personal details as provided in your application, including the organisation you do child-related work for and their contact details.

For example, when you finish your student placement as a volunteer and then use the card to seek employment, you should update your details through the online application page at the above link.

I have an old card – can I use it?

Check at the online link above – you may be able to update your details online rather than make a new application.

I’m not a Victorian student – do I still need this?

Students undertaking placements in states or territories other than Victoria should check the following link for further details: